Our full Terms and Conditions are written below. Before we jump into the legal language, here is "plain English" summary of how SFL works:
- SFL is free for everyone to use, but we also offer paid memberships with additional storage space for video messages and additional features
- We're committed to helping everyone share their stories as we believe it's through the act of listening that relationships truly flourish.
- By default, stories are available to all SFL website visitors, but we provide privacy controls that enable you to choose when your stories are published live, and who can view them.
- SFL is a place of positivity. Hateful or malicious content will be removed, regardless of whether it's a paid or free account.
- We use a DigiCert encryption certificate to help protect you when accessing our site, and store data on Amazon's cloud servers, but despite our efforts to protect your data we can't be held liable should it be accessed maliciously or even accidentally.
- Full refunds will be provided to any premium (paid) customer that decides to cancel their paid account. No reason is required should a customer choose to close their paid account, so long as the request for refund is submitted within 30 days of purchase. After 30 days refunds will not be provided. Should a paid member wish to close their paid account, they have the option of downgrading their account to a free account, or closing their SFL account completely. Concierge members may receive full refunds before services are provided, but after services are provided, Concierge members may only receive partial refund as explained in the full terms below.
- Should a customer choose to close and delete their account, their profile will no longer be available online, but it may take up to 90 days to delete all data from our servers.
- SFL users maintain ownership of their content but give SFL full usage rights unless they choose to close their account at any stage.
- We may share anonymized data with advertisers.
- Members that have elected annual paid plans will be billed every 12 months from the date that they first paid for their paid membership.
- Every effort will be made to keep the site and all content live indefinitely, but matters outside our control may cause the website to close, and we reserve the right to shut down the site for any reason. In this case we will no longer charge recurring fees but refunds will not be provided for services previously provided.
This Terms and Conditions Agreement (the “Agreement”) for storiesforlife.me and/or lastwords.me (collectively, “SFL”) is a legally binding contract between you and LifeTech Digital PTY LTD (the “Company”, “us”, “our”, and “we”). By registering for any type of Account (as defined below) or using SFL in any manner whatsoever, you agree to be bound by this Agreement in full.
We may replace or modify this Agreement at any time. After any modification or replacement, users with registered Accounts will be emailed a notification of the change. Your continued use of SFL after such a change will constitute your consent to be bound by the new Agreement.
In the event of a discrepancy between the numbered "plain English" summary above and the other terms of this Agreement, the other terms will control.
- Accounts and User Pages.
- In order to use certain features of SFL, you must register for a user account (“Account”). You represent and warrant that: (a) all information you submit to create an Account, or post through your Account, is truthful, complete, and accurate and (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information. You may terminate your Account at any time, for any reason, by following the instructions on SFL. In addition, the Company may suspend or terminate your Account at any time for violating this Agreement or in the event that SFL ceases to operates or fundamentally changes its operating model.
- SFL may offer both regular Accounts (“Regular Accounts”) and premium Accounts (“Premium Accounts”). Both Account types may create user generated story pages (“User Pages”) or, if selected by another user, act as the manager of another person's User Page as a manager for that Page (“Trusted Nominee”). Premium Accounts may offer features not available to Regular Accounts, including the ability to create User Pages with more features or storage space. Users may also purchase services as a Concierge Member (“Concierge Member”).
- You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account login information and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your Account. Accounts are personal and may not be shared with any other person. You agree to immediately notify the Company of any unauthorized use, or suspected unauthorized use of your Account or any other breach of security. The Company cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with the above requirements.
- You may terminate your Account at any time. It may take the Company up to 90 days from termination to remove your User Pages and User Content from SFL.
- Payments and Refunds.
- Premium Accounts and Concierge Members may require the payment of fees in order to purchase or maintain the Account. If you register for, or upgrade to, a Premium Account or Concierge Member account, you agree that (i) you will provide accurate, complete, and truthful payment information, such as a credit card or debit card, to SFL (the “Payment Information”); (ii) you authorize the Company to charge, or use a third-party payment processor to charge, your Payment Information for the amount indicated on SFL; and (iii) you will not dispute, chargeback, or cancel your payment.
- If your selected Account type has a recurring fee component, as specified on SFL, you agree that you authorize recurring charges at the then-current price posted on SFL.
- You acknowledge that if a required payment fails, your Account will be reverted to a Regular Account.
- SFL does not offer any refunds except as expressly stated in Section 2(b) and Section 2(c) of this Agreement.
- Refunds for Premium Accounts will only be offered within 30 days of the initial (not recurring) purchase. In order to request a refund, you must follow the specific instructions on SFL or contact customer service. Premium Accounts may be terminated or downgraded to Regular Accounts at any time, after which all payment obligations will cease.
- Concierge Members may receive a full refund before SFL has provided any services (which includes interviewing you and/or your nominated interviewee, even before creating a User Page with the information attained during your interviews). Once these services have been provided, Concierge members are eligible for a portion of their Concierge Member fee as follows: (i) 40% of your original payment will be refunded should you choose to cancel your Concierge Member account after we’ve interviewed you and/or your nominated interviewee; and (ii)15% of your original payment will be refunded should you choose to cancel your Concierge Member account after we have completed interviews and created your SFL User Page.
- Use of SFL.
- By using SFL, you agree that you will not, under any circumstance:
- license, assign, sell, rent, lease, transfer, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit any portion of SFL, including any other person's User Content;
- modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of SFL;
- data-mine, index, reverse engineer, disassemble, crack, or access in an unauthorized manner, any portion of SFL; or
- copy, reproduce, or distribute any portion of SFL.
- In addition, by using SFL, you agree that you are at least 18 years of age and will not use SFL for any purpose which is commercial, illegal or in violation of the rights of any other person.
- We reserve the right, at any time and in our sole discretion, to modify, suspend, or discontinue SFL with or without notice. In such an instance, your Account and User Page may be deleted. You agree that Company will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuation of SFL or any part thereof.
- When using SFL, you may encounter User Pages built by other people and links to third party sites. SFL is not responsible for any User Page content or third party links. You agree to access these third party User Pages and links at your own sole risk.
- User Content.
- You may build a User Page with text, photos, videos, sound, or other permitted content (collectively, “User Content”). You are solely responsible for your own User Content. You assume all risks associated with use of your User Content, including any reliance on its accuracy, completeness or usefulness by others, or any disclosure of your User Content that personally identifies you or any third party. You will not post any User Content that is, in any way:
- untrue or deceptive;
- illegal or prohibited in any jurisdiction where it may be accessed;
- offensive, harassing, pornographic, or defamatory;
- malicious (including viruses, worms, trojan horses, or malicious code of any other type) or interferes with, or attempts to disrupt or circumvent, SFL's usage or security; or
- not owned by you, or has not been authorized for your use (provided that such authorization may included your appointment and acceptance as a Trusted Nominee).
- Our goal is to ensure that SFL is a safe and encouraging place for everyone. SFL reserves the right to modify, delete, or alter any User Content at any time if SFL believes, in good faith, that such User Content violates any term of this Agreement.
- The Company is not obligated to store, keep, or backup any User Content. You are solely responsible for creating and maintaining your own backup copies of your User Content if you desire.
- Intellectual Property. All of the copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, trade dress, and any other content other than User Content found throughout SFL (collectively, “Intellectual Property”), belongs solely to the Company or its respective licensor. You acknowledge that you have been granted no right, license, or assignment with respect to any Intellectual Property and that you will not use, share, distribute, sell, or modify any Intellectual Property, including derivates thereof.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Company, its officers, employees, and its agents (collectively “Company Affiliates”) from any claim, liability, expense, cost or demand made by any third party, including (without limitation) attorneys' fees and expenses, due to or arising out of (a) your use of SFL, (b) your violation of this Agreement, (c) your violation of applicable laws or regulations, or (d) your User Content.
- Disclaimer of Representations and Warranties. SFL AND ALL CONTENT, INCLUDING USER CONTENT, MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU THROUGH SFL OR THE COMPANY ARE PROVIDED BY US “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE.” THE COMPANY MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS AND NEGATES ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION), ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, QUALITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OR OTHER VIOLATION OF RIGHTS. WE DO NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS CONCERNING THE ACCURACY, LIKELY RESULTS, OR RELIABILITY OF THE USE OF THE CONTENT FOUND ON SFL. YOUR USE OF SFL IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Limitation on Liability. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COMPANY OR COMPANY AFFILIATES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, COSTS OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE PRODUCTS, OR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT OR YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, SFL OR ANY USER CONTENT, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. ACCESS TO, AND USE OF, SFL IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND SOLE RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE OR COMPUTER SYSTEM, OR LOSS OF DATA RESULTING THEREFROM.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AND WITHOUT LIMITTING THE FOREGOING, OUR LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT (FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION), WILL AT ALL TIMES BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF FIVE HUNDRED AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS IN THE AGGREGATE.
- Content found on SFL may not be accurate or up to date. We have the right, but not the obligation, to update any information found to be inaccurate or outdated.
- This Agreement shall be governed exclusively by the laws of Australia without regard for the conflicts of law. Any dispute arising under this Agreement, relating to the subject matter hereof, or relating to your use of SFL, shall be brought exclusively in the courts of Australia.
- The communications between you and Company use electronic means, whether you use SFL or send us emails, or whether Company posts notices on SFL or communicates with you via email. For contractual purposes, you (a) consent to receive communications from Company in an electronic form; and (b) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that Company provides to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if it were be in a hardcopy writing. The foregoing does not affect your non-waivable rights.
- The section titles in this Agreement are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
- If any provision of this Agreement is, for any reason, held to be invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions of this Agreement will be unimpaired and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid and enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- This Agreement, and your rights and obligations herein, may not be assigned, subcontracted, delegated, or otherwise transferred by you without Company’s prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, subcontract, delegation, or transfer in violation of the foregoing will be null and void. Company may freely assign this Agreement. The terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement shall be binding upon assignees.
- You may contact the company via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.